Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Robert Parker publishes young adult novels




I read Robert Parker's first book for young adults, Edenville Owls, this summer, and I loved it! I've just started his latest, The Boxer and the Spy, and it shows every sign of being as good as the first one. Robert Parker is the author of the bestselling Spenser novels, on which the TV show Spenser for Hire was based. For a long time, I read each Spenser book as soon as it was released and waited eagerly for the next to come out, but after a while, they became pretty formulaic. I didn't have very high expectations when I started Edenville Owls, but changing his target audience has rejuvenated Parker's writing: the characters are believeable and likeable, the plot is intriguing and involves sports, one or more mysteries, and complicated relationships between the characters. In Edenville Owls, the sport is basketball, and in the new book, obviously, boxing. The dialog is still a bit choppy for my taste, but the books are definitely worth reading. Review by Stacy

No comments: